Reviewed by: Erica An, BNutr&Diet, APD
Just because you are working hard to lose weight, it doesn’t mean that you have to go without your favourite Christmas traditions including Christmas pudding!
At just 172 calories per serve, this delicious Christmas pudding will warm the hearts of the whole family.
Serves 10 / 172 calories / 20 mins prep / 95 mins cook
- 150g Mixed Dried Fruit, roughly chopped
- 250g Cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cups Rum (63g)
- 60g Butter, No Added Salt, melted
- 2 Cage Free Eggs (118g), lightly beaten
- 1 Cage Free Egg Whites (33g)
- 1/2 Cups Self Raising Flour (75g)
- 1/4 Cups Self Raising Wholemeal Flour (40g)
- 2 Teaspoons Mixed Spice (4g)
- Combine dried fruit and cherries in a large bowl. Heat rum and 1/4 cup (60ml) water and pour over fruit, stirring to mix evenly. Set aside for 30 minutes to soak.
- Spray a 6-cup (1.5 litre) capacity pudding basin with oil. Line base with a small round of non-stick baking paper. Place a small trivet or upturned saucer into a large saucepan (large enough to hold pudding basin). Half fill with water, cover and bring to the boil.
- Add butter, eggs, egg white, flours and spice to the fruit mixture. Stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared basin and smooth surface. Lock lid on, or if there is no lid cover with a sheet of non-stick baking paper and a sheet of foil, pleated across centre, and secure with string.
- Place basin onto trivet. Water should come halfway up the side of the basin – if not, add enough boiling water from kettle. Cover pan with a lid and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, checking water level occasionally and topping up from kettle as needed.
- To test if pudding is cooked through, carefully remove basin from pan, undo lid and insert a skewer (or poke skewer through foil). If it comes out clean it is ready. Stand for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a serving plate and cut into wedges to serve.