Reviewed by: Erica Grandjean, APD, BNutr&Diet
A little chocolate never hurt anyone! In fact, the occasional treat is a must when you’re striving for balance. Here are seven delicious treats that won’t pack a calorie punch.
Also read: 5 Desserts Under 200 Calories
1. Chocolate-coated strawberries
To get this under 200 calories per serve, take a punnet of fresh strawberries (around 250g) and dip into 50g of melted dark chocolate (just enough to coat each strawberry). Refrigerate until chocolate is firm. Divide between two plates.
2. Yoghurt with chocolate flakes
Take half a cup of low-fat Greek yoghurt and top with two chopped strawberries and 15g of grated dark chocolate (roughly two small squares, or one big Lindt square). If you can, use a fine grater as this will create a dusting that feels plentiful, but keeps you under 200 calories per serve!
3. Chocolate bananas
Cut half a banana into 3 to 4 thick slices, and skewer each slice with a toothpick.
Dip the lower half into 25g melted dark chocolate (minimum 80% cocoa solids). Freeze until the chocolate has hardened.
4. Fruit kebabs
Alternate sliced banana, halved strawberries, melon and watermelon cubes on a large skewer. Place on a large tray, and drizzle with 25g melted dark chocolate. Pop in the fridge until hard.
5. Mini peanut butter cups
Simply take 12 mini paper cases pop a teaspoon of natural, smooth peanut butter into each, then top with a teaspoon of melted dark chocolate. Make sure the peanut butter is smoothed down before you drizzle the chocolate on top.
Place in the freezer until firm. For 200 calories, limit yourself to three. They’re small but very satisfying!
6. Chocolate strawberry ballerinas
Chop three large strawberries in half. Sandwich the halves back together with 1 teaspoon of low-fat ricotta and half a teaspoon of hazelnut spread, such as Nutella.
7. Free 12WBT Recipe: Chocolate Puddings
- 1g olive oil spray
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (6g)
- 20g fresh dates, chopped
- 3 teaspoons margarine (15g)
- 15g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cage free eggs (59g), lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoons plain flour (3g)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray two 1/3 cup capacity shallow ramekins with oil. Use half the cocoa powder to dust insides of the ramekins. Shake out any excess.
- Combine dates and 2 tablespoons boiling water in a small heatproof bowl. Add margarine and chocolate. Microwave on high for 40 seconds. Stir until chocolate and margarine have melted. Cool slightly.
- Stir in egg, mixing well. Stir in combined sifted flour and remaining cocoa. Stir until smooth. Spoon mixture into prepared ramekins, and place into a small baking dish. Pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come halfway up the sides.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. The mixture should be just cooked on top but still feel a little squidgy in the centre. Remove from the dish and stand for 2 minutes. Serve dusted with a tiny amount of cocoa if you like.
Does the sound of this decadent, simple and healthy dessert make your mouth water? There’s more where that came from! https://www.12wbt.com/nutrition Visit 12WBT and the 1000+ recipes we have to offer.