Mince and potatoes are 2 ingredients that most of us have on hand and they are great at creating the base to many wonderful recipes!
So here’s 5 delicious and simple recipes you can try using both of these kitchen staples.
Cottage Pie with Parmesan Potato Topping
This one is an absolute family favourite!
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 1/2 Onion (73g), finely chopped
- 1 Carrot (61g), diced
- 1 Zucchini (101g), diced
- 125g Lean Beef Mince
- 1 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (20g)
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce (10g)
- 1/3 Cups Reduced Salt Beef Stock (80g)
- 380g Sweet Potato, chopped
- 1 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese (7g), finely grated
- 2 Slices Wholegrain Bread (80g)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a large non-stick pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook onion, carrot and zucchini, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add mince and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, stock and ⅓ cup (80ml) water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat slightly and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until thick.
- Meanwhile, cook sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well, return to saucepan and mash until smooth. Spoon mince mixture into two 1 ½ cup (375ml) capacity ovenproof ramekins. Top each with mashed potato and sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- Spray with oil and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve with bread.
Jacket potatoes topped with mince and grated vegetables
Simply roast some unpeeled whole potatoes in foil (one per person), score the tops to create a pocket and fill with sautéed beef mince and a mixture of grated vegetables. Top with a sprinkle of light tasty cheese and melt under grill for that oozy cheesey goodness!
Add some steamed potato and carrots to sautéed mince with frozen peas and canned or fresh tomatoes. Serve with steamed rice. The kids will love this one!!
Beef and potato meatloaf
Add a nice twist to your meatloaf by adding a layer of mashed potato on top. Made with lean pork or beef mince and lots of grated veg, it’s a dish packed full of comforting goodness!
Combine chicken breast mince, blanched and chopped potatoes, onions and carrots and blitz together in a food processor. Add a sprinkle of breadcrumbs to the mix and roll into patties. Use them in hamburgers or as a rissole and serve with a salad.