Reviewed by: Erica An, BNutr&Diet, APD
It takes a bit of planning, but you can save big on your dinners if you know how! We’ve listed 5 12WBT recipes that are not only inexpensive, but will keep you on track to meet your health and fitness goals – and they’re delicious! Bon Appetit!
Serves 1 – 294 Calories – 5 mins prep – 10 mins cooking
1 Teaspoons Olive Oil (5g)
35g Wholemeal Pasta
1 Cloves Garlic (3g), crushed
1 Teaspoons Capers (4g), rinsed & drained
60g Baby Spinach
1/2 X 185g cans Tuna In Springwater, Drained (65g), flaked
1 Teaspoons Lemon Zest (2g), finely grated
1 Shallot (6g), chopped
2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice (10g)
1 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan (7g)
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and capers, cook for 30 seconds. Put in the spinach and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until wilted.
- Add tuna, lemon zest and shallots; toss gently to combine. Drain pasta, add to pan and drizzle with lemon juice. Toss to combine. Serve in bowl and scatter parmesan over.
Garlic, Parsley & Mushroom Bruschetta
Serves 1 – 315 Calories – 10 mins prep – 5 mins cooking
1/2 Teaspoons Olive Oil (3g)
60g Mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 Cloves Garlic (6g), 1 crushed, 1 halved
1 Tablespoons Flat Leaf Parsley (3g), finely chopped
2 Slices Wholegrain Bread (80g), toasted
60g Reduced Fat Ricotta
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add crushed garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in parsley. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Rub 1 side of each toast slice with remaining garlic clove, cut-side down. Spread with ricotta.
- Top toast with mushroom mixture to serve.
Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup
Serves 8 – 293 Calories – 25 mins prep – 90 mins cooking
1 Pumpkin (1800g), halved then chopped into large chunks
1 Tablespoons Olive Oil (20g)
2 Onion (178g), chopped
2 Potato (246g), peeled & chopped
1 Leek (83g), chopped
10 Cloves Garlic (30g)
6 Cups Liquid Vegetable Stock (1500g)
8 Small Grainy Bread Roll (400g)
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking tray. Spray with olive oil. Bake for 40 minutes or until the flesh is soft and tender. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, potato, leek and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden.
- Add half the stock and the pumpkin. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes then set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a stick mixer to process until smooth. Stir in the remaining stock to the desired thickness.
- Stir over medium heat until heated through. Season with pepper.
- Divide among serving bowls and enjoy with the bread rolls.
Jacket Potato with Tomato & Coriander Salsa
Serves 1 – 302 Calories – 10 mins prep – 60 mins cooking
1 Potato (155g)
1/2 X 400g can Canned Lentils (120g), rinsed & drained
1 Tomato (167g), chopped
1 Shallot (3g), chopped
1/2 Red Chilli (5g), finely chopped
1 Tablespoons Fresh Coriander (3g), chopped
25g Parmesan Cheese, shaved
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Scrub potato and pat dry with paper towel. Prick skin all over with a fork, and wrap in foil. Place directly onto oven rack and bake for 1 hour or until flesh is tender when pierced with a skewer.
- Meanwhile, combine lentils, tomato, shallot, chilli and coriander.
- Unwrap potato and cut a deep cross in the top. Using a clean tea towel, hold base of a hot potato and gently squeeze to open up. Place onto a plate. Fill with salsa and top with parmesan. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Potato, Spinach & Feta Tortilla
Serves 2 – 327 calories – 10 mins prep – 25 mins cooking
180g Potato, roughly chopped
2 Teaspoons Olive Oil (10g)
1 Red Onion (89g), cut into thin wedges
1 Red Capsicum (92g), roughly chopped
40g Baby Spinach
3 Cage Free Eggs (177g)
1/3 Cups Low Fat Milk (80g)
40g Low Fat Feta, roughly chopped
- Place potatoes in a shallow, microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup (60ml) water. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes or until just tender. Drain well, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat oil in a small ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, capsicum and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until onion is lightly golden and starting to soften. Add spinach and cook, stirring, for a further minute or until spinach starts to wilt.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk and freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl. Preheat a grill to medium.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables in pan, then sprinkle feta over. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes or until mixture starts to set around the edges.
- Place pan under grill and cook for a further 8 minutes or until egg is set and golden brown.
- Set aside in pan for 5 minutes to rest. Cut into 4 pieces. Place 2 pieces on each plate and serve with rocket.
Yum! Am I right!? With 12WBT, you can access 1000+ healthy, low-calorie recipes just like these. Find out more here.