You’ve heard it many times: it’s important to build muscle, but why?
While you can lose weight through healthy eating and cardio, building muscle helps speed up the process and makes it sustainable.
Here are the top five reasons why building muscle IS so important:
1. You’ll have a faster metabolism: Muscle is a highly ‘metabolically active’ tissue, meaning it requires a lot of energy just to maintain it. So, more muscle = faster metabolism = greater weight loss.
2. You’ll maintain your weight loss more efficiently: With an increase in metabolism, you’ll find it much easier to maintain your weight loss once you reach your goal weight.
3. You’ll lose centimeters off your frame: muscle is a very dense tissue: for example, three kilograms of muscle takes up the same space as one kilogram of fat. So, more muscle = less fat = smaller size!
4. You’ll be stronger and more resistant to injury: muscle supports our skeletal system. The more muscle we have, the stronger and more stable our body is. As we age this strength and support greatly reduces the likelihood of a fall resulting in serious injury.
5. You’ll maintain a good metabolism as you age: many studies are now showing that the decline in metabolism as we age happens purely as a result of decreased muscle mass. Increase your muscle mass now and you’ll keep a good metabolic rate as you get older!
You get all of this from just increasing your muscle mass! Start to include a few days of moderate resistance training into your week and reap the benefits for many years to come.