Back by popular demand is another 30-Day Challenge that you guys seem to really embrace and get stuck into.
But why are these 30-Day Challenges so appealing?
There are a few reasons why us, as humans really embrace these short, sharp 30 day challenges:
- Mental Ease – Even though these challenges are physically far more intense than training for a marathon, when you know the workout is going to be done in around 5 minutes, and the entire program in just 1 month, your mind says “5 minutes a day, 1 month – I got this!” As opposed to marathon training – “5 hours a week, 1 year – Too hard basket”.
- Sharing the Love – When you know you’re going to be all done in 5 minutes you can really go for it, and you don’t have to pace yourself, this is further enhanced when (that’s right when) you do it with someone else. You can get your partner, flatmates or kids to join in and do it right there where in your lounge room, AND/OR FaceTime a friend and do it together. This is so much more fun, so tag your bestie and get awesome results while having a laugh (see exercise 5 for funny details).
- Real results in just 5 minutes – No, this is not a title for an infomercial. You can, and will actually get results with this challenge and you will easily prove it. See below for 30 Day Challenge details.
Your 30-Day Body Weight Challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to do these 5 exercises as often as possible over the next 30 days.
Here’s how it works:
For each of the exercises everyone starts at level 1, once you complete 1 minute at level 1 with PERFECT form, then move onto level 2 the next day.
NOTE: Your levels may vary for each of the exercises, just follow the ‘Perfect Form Formula’ for each of the exercises.
ANOTHER NOTE: On day 1 observe how you feel for all level 1’s and record your results somewhere i.e Did Level 1 push ups for 23 seconds.
Results you WILL achieve:
This isn’t a ”maybe” challenge, this is a “guaranteed” program. When you do this for 30 days you WILL be significantly stronger, fitter, faster and have a far greater capacity to use fat as fuel all day long! This last point is enhanced when you do the program first thing in the morning before your first meal and after your first glass of water.
Exercise 1 – Plank
All good exercise programs start with a ‘Core Activation’ and this challenge is no different! Happy Planking! Once you reach 1 minute of ‘Level 1 – Plank on Knees’ then move onto level 2 the next day.
- Level 1 – Plank on knees
- Level 2 – Plank on toes
- Level 3 – Plank rocking
- Level 4 – Plank – Fancy (One Leg) Alternate legs.
- Level 5 – Forward arm walkout – The stronger you are the further and longer you stretch your arms out for.
Exercise 2 – Burpee
Now for the cardio element, 1 minute of as many perfect burpees as you can muster.
- Level 1 – Burpee – Low impact
- Level 2 – Burpee – Bench
- Level 3 – Burpee – Traditional
- Level 4 – Burpee with push up and jump
- Level 5 – Burpee with tuck jump
Exercise 3 – Lunges
The lunge is the ultimate exercise for your Gluteus Maximus, aka your butt. Whether you’re motivated because a stronger butt provides more support for your lower back, or for the Vanity Smurf in us all and you just want a firmer, peach-like butt! Whatever gets you motivated.
To keep with the 5 minute schedule when it says ES (Each Side) just do 30 seconds each leg and switch.
- Level 1 – Lunge – Assisted x 30 seconds ES.
With 1 hand hold onto a wall, pole, chair or anything else that offers some support.
- Level 2 – Lunge – Static x 30 seconds ES.
As a rule always start with your non-dominant leg, that’s left for most of us.
- Level 3 – Lunge – Elevated x 30 secs ES.
Elevate your back foot on something sturdy that’s around knee height. Keep your arms by your side. Lunge slow and low.
- Level 4 – Lunge – Elevated – Pulses x 30 seconds ES.
Just like level 3 except you’ll be pulsing down the bottom for the entire 30 seconds. Now you’re entering the Hurt Locker!!!
- Level 5 – Lunge – Plyometric x 1 minute – Alternating.
If you’ve passed level 4 then you’re ready for this dynamic POWER lunge where your aim is to get as much air time as humanly possible.
Exercise 4 – Push Ups
For your 4th fun exercise you’ll be heading back to the upper body with 1 minute of push ups. You’ll be surprised just how slow a minute can go when you’re pumping out push ups non-stop.
- Level 1 – Push ups on your knees on a (knee high) chair
- Level 2 – Push ups on your toes on a chair
- Level 3 – Push ups on knees on the ground
- Level 4 – Push ups on toes on the ground
- Level 5 – Feet elevated on a chair
If you even get to level 5 you can consider yourself Marine material!
Exercise 5 – Shadow Boxing
Now you’ve done the really intense exercises, it’s time to have some fun with Shadow Boxing. Bounce up on your toes and jab, cross, duck, weave and see just how many punches you can do in 1 ‘Fists of Fury’ minute. And yes, this is the part when you laugh at each other.
This final move is also a challenge to see how high you can get your heart rate, so go all-out for this final blast.
And you’re done!
There you have 5 exercises in just 5 minutes that can be done using bodyweight, and in some circumstances a sturdy chair.
As you will learn during this 30 day challenge it’s not how expensive your gym membership is, or how fancy your home equipment is, it’s the intensity and consistency of the workout.
So grab a buddy, pump up your favourite workout tracks and rip into this 5 minute program as often as you can for the next 30 days!
On day 31 go back to level 1 for all exercises and compare it to day 1!